You can make changes to your course choices up to 1 February at 5:15pm for no extra charge. In early February, a Change of Course Choices facility becomes available online for a fee of €10. This facility can be used by registered applicants to add any restricted courses not already listed on an application, or by mature applicants who need to add or make changes to their course choices, up to 1 March 2021 at 5:15pm.
The CAO online Change of Mind facility opens in early May and closes on 1 July at 5:15pm – restrictions apply (see page 3). You can use the online facility as many times as you like to add, remove or re-order your courses free of charge until the 1 July at 5:15pm.
To change course choices, log in to your CAO Account via the My Application facility and click on Change Level 8 Course Choices or Change Level 7/6 Course Choices. You can then use the New Courses list to enter new courses, disregard existing course choices, or re-order your existing course selection. You must list all of your courses in your order of preference on the new list. If you change courses online, an acknowledgement will be sent to your email address - please check this email carefully and inform CAO of any errors or omissions. You should also check that your courses have been updated by using the My Application facility before 5:15pm on 1 July.
Please Note: You cannot introduce restricted courses using the Change of Mind facility. Exception: In the case of a restricted course which shares the exact same assessment procedures with a course you had applied for by 1 February 2021 at 5:15pm, you may be permitted to introduce it on a Change of Mind. You should consult with the relevant HEI before introducing such a course.
If you make a Change of Mind it cancels and supersedes all previous course choices in any category in which changes are made.
You may change some of your personal information (e.g. postal address, telephone number and email address) online using the My Application facility. To change your name, date of birth or to add examination information to your application, you must email CAO via the Correspondence Section of your account. If you change personal information online, an acknowledgement will be sent to your email address. Please check that your change has been updated by using the My Application facility. If you have not received your acknowledgement within seven days of submitting an amendment to CAO after 7 of July, you must contact CAO immediately
If you have applied for any restricted courses and/or you are a mature applicant and you change your contact details, please contact the institutions you have applied to in order to ensure that they have your most recent details on file.
- CAO Handbook
- Download CAO Handbook
- Important Changes to CAO Handbook
- Summary of Major Stages of the CAO Application Process
- Applying to CAO
- Application Dates and Fees
- Late Applications
- Reapplying to CAO
- Categories of Qualifications and Assessments
- Applying for a Maintenance Fee Grant (SUSI)
- Introducing your Course Choices
- Applying for HEAR and DARE
- Sending Supporting Documents to CAO
- Summer 2021 Examination Results
- Interviews and Assessments
- After Applying
- Interacting with your CAO Account
- Important Correspondence
- Statement of Application Record
- Change of Mind
- Changes to your Personal and Examination Information
- The Offer Stage
- The Offer Rounds
- Accepting an Offer
- Available Places
- Points Calculation for Leaving Certificate Applicants
- Points Calculation for Other Examinations
- Deferring A Place
- Taking up a Deferral
- The Leaving Certificate Appeals Process
- Registration on your Accepted Course
- Direct Applications and Exceptional Late Applications
- Further Information - Online Resources
- General Principles
- Independent Appeals Commission
- Contacting CAO