Irish Leaving Certificate Examination PointsThe information provided is a summary which is given for the convenience of applicants whose applications will be evaluated on the basis of the results of the Republic of Ireland Leaving Certificate Examination. Further details and information on minimum entry requirements must be obtained by consulting HEI literature. Entry to the great majority of courses in the CAO system will be determined according to the common points scale and the accompanying conditions.
|Leaving Certificate Points Calculation Grid|
- The six best results, in recognised subjects, in one Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points computation.
- One sitting only of the Leaving Certificate Examination will be counted for points purposes.
- In the case of certain subjects, e.g. Home Economics General (this subject was discontinued in 2003), Alternative Ordinary Level Mathematics, Foundation Level Mathematics or Foundation Level Irish, some HEIs may not award the points indicated on the points grid. If in any doubt, check with the Admissions Office of the appropriate HEIs.
- Remember, you must first meet the minimum entry requirements in order to be considered for entry to a course.
- LCVP points awarded: Distinction - 66, Merit - 46, Pass - 28