They should NOT be originals (except for Graduate Medicine where original transcripts of results for all years are required); they should be A4 photocopies, certified typically by a school stamp, a HEI Admissions Office stamp, or by a notary. (CAO will not return original documents.)
A certified English translation is required in the case of qualifications not issued originally in English or Irish, in addition to the certified A4 photocopies of the documents themselves.
If your documentation is in a different name from the name used on your application, then a certified copy of your official name change document must also be provided.
If English is not your first language you must provide evidence of English language competence and details of the English Language Qualification(s) that you hold – contact the HEIs directly for requirements.
CAO will not check that these documents meet the requirements of any HEI.
If you have provided CAO with your correct examination details (or PPS number for QQI FET applicants), CAO automatically receives the following examination results: Leaving Certificate, QQI FET, CCEA (Northern Ireland) GCE, British GCE. For all other examining bodies, you must supply certified photocopies of results of summer 2019 examinations to CAO as soon as they become available. To be considered in the competition for places in Round One, these results must arrive in CAO at least 10 days before the issue of Round One offers, otherwise they will be considered for subsequent rounds.
For some courses you may need to sit additional assessments, provide supplementary information (e.g. a portfolio or a statement), or attend for an interview. Some of these courses will be marked as “(Restricted – see page 3)” in the CAO handbook, but you should consult the websites and prospectuses of the HEIs for more information.
GAMSAT, HPAT and MSAP
You are advised to apply online, before 1 February at 5:15pm, if you need to apply for the 2019 GAMSAT, HPAT and/or MSAP tests. Current year results will be obtained directly from ACER. Check your email inbox regularly as CAO communicates via email with such applicants. If you have previous valid GAMSAT and/or MSAP tests you must supply to CAO photocopies of these results with your application, or within 10 days of applying online. Consult the appropriate HEI literature regarding their validity.
Qualified applicants are ranked solely on the basis of GAMSAT results. To qualify, applicants must obtain a second class honours grade one (2H1) in their first Level 8 Honours Degree. For more information go to the Student Resources section of www.cao.ie and click on the Entry to Medicine tab.
Mature applicants for nursing/midwifery are ranked based on their score in the assessment process. The Public Appointments Service (PAS) carries out the assessment test for mature nursing applicants on behalf of the Nursing and Midwifery Board (NMBI). To sit the test you are advised to apply online to CAO, before 1 February at 5:15pm, and you must complete the following two steps:
- Register with www.publicjobs.ie by creating a profile (if you have not already done so). Do not confuse registering (creating a profile) with submitting an application form. Remember to note down your login and password details as you will require these during the assessment process to access your messages.
Complete and submit the online application form between 1 February 2019 and 3pm on 21 February 2019. If you have not received a confirmation email from the PAS within two days of submitting your application you should contact them at email@example.com or phone 01-8587730.
For full details on the assessment test process, go to http://www.nmbi.ie/Careers-in-Nursing-Midwifery or email firstname.lastname@example.org - see also the instructions on page 22 of Nursing and Midwifery – A Career for you.
- CAO Handbook
- Download CAO Handbook
- Important Changes to CAO Handbook
- Summary of Major Stages of the CAO Application Process
- Applying to CAO
- Late Applications
- Reapplying to CAO
- Categories of Qualifications and Assessments
- Applying for HEAR and DARE
- Applying for a Maintenance Fee Grant (SUSI)
- Introducing your Course Choices
- Sending Supporting Documents to CAO
- Summer 2019 Examination Results
- Interviews and Assessments
- After Applying
- Important Correspondence
- Statement of Application Record
- Change of Mind
- Changes to your Personal and Examination Information
- The Offer Stage
- The Offer Rounds
- Accepting an Offer
- Available Places
- Points Calculation for Leaving Certificate Applicants
- Points Calculation for Other Examinations
- Deferring A Place
- Taking up a Deferral
- The Leaving Certificate Appeals Process
- Registration on your Accepted Course
- Direct Applications and Exceptional Late Applications
- Further Information - Online Resources
- General Principles
- Independent Appeals Commission
- Contacting CAO