If you have provided CAO with your correct examination details (or PPS number for QQI FET applicants), CAO automatically receives the following examination results: Leaving Certificate, QQI FET, CCEA (Northern Ireland) GCE, British GCE. For all other examining bodies, you must supply certified photocopies of results of summer 2021 examinations to CAO as soon as they become available. To be considered in the competition for places in Round One, these results must arrive in CAO at least 10 days before the issue of Round One offers, otherwise they will be considered for subsequent rounds.
For some courses you may need to sit additional assessments, provide supplementary information (e.g. a portfolio or a statement), or attend for an interview. Some of these courses will be marked as “(Restricted – see page 3)” in the CAO handbook, but you should consult the websites and prospectuses of the HEIs for more information.
GAMSAT, HPAT and MSAP
You are advised to apply online, before 1 February at 5:15pm, if you need to apply for the 2021 GAMSAT, HPAT and/or MSAP tests.
Check your email inbox regularly as CAO communicates via email with such applicants.
If you have a 2020 MSAP score you wish to use you must supply to CAO a copy of these results with your application, or within 10 days of applying online. Current year MSAP results will be obtained directly from ACER.
In order for your GAMSAT results to be forwarded to CAO by ACER, you must indicate on any of your current GAMSAT registrations (September 2019, May/June 2020, September 2020, March 2021) that you are an applicant to an Irish program. Results from these sittings only will be considered for 2021 Graduate Medicine entry.
Current year HPAT results will be obtained directly from ACER. Consult the appropriate HEI literature regarding their validity.
Qualified applicants are ranked solely on the basis of GAMSAT results. To qualify, applicants must obtain a second class honours grade one (2H1) in their first Level 8 Honours Degree. For more information go to the Student Resources section of www.cao.ie and click on the Entry to Medicine tab.
Mature applicants for nursing/midwifery are ranked based on their score in an assessment test which is required by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). Full details about the assessment are publicised on the NMBI website www.nmbi.ie
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CAO Handbook
- Download CAO Handbook
- Important Changes to CAO Handbook
- Summary of Major Stages of the CAO Application Process
- Applying to CAO
- Application Dates and Fees
- Late Applications
- Reapplying to CAO
- Categories of Qualifications and Assessments
- Applying for a Maintenance Fee Grant (SUSI)
- Introducing your Course Choices
- Applying for HEAR and DARE
- Sending Supporting Documents to CAO
- Summer 2021 Examination Results
- Interviews and Assessments
- After Applying
- Interacting with your CAO Account
- Important Correspondence
- Statement of Application Record
- Change of Mind
- Changes to your Personal and Examination Information
- The Offer Stage
- The Offer Rounds
- Accepting an Offer
- Available Places
- Points Calculation for Leaving Certificate Applicants
- Points Calculation for Other Examinations
- Deferring A Place
- Taking up a Deferral
- The Leaving Certificate Appeals Process
- Registration on your Accepted Course
- Direct Applications and Exceptional Late Applications
- Further Information - Online Resources
- General Principles
- Independent Appeals Commission
- Contacting CAO